Repairing a tin lantern.
I have been doing a lot of reading about coopering and tinware lately and trying to learn the techniques myself. One area that I have found very interesting is in the repair of tinware, buckets and other handmade items. I think sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the idea that every handmade item produced in the pre-industrial period was flawless, and that we should only present perfect reproductions. But not every tinsmith was an expert. There were people cranking out crap then just like today, the difference being that the crap wore out and some of the really good stuff survived. And they fixed stuff. I don't have the reference handy, but there are lots of documented repairs that have made it own to modern times. So in that spirit, here is how I repaired a tin lantern that I made.
Last winter I made two tin lanterns for us to use at reenactments and living history events. We used them a few times and they worked pretty well, until one of the rivets came loose and the handle fell off. Well actually I guess I should say that the lantern fell off the handle to be more accurate. You can see here where one of the rivets pulled through the hole. It turns out that I used the wrong rivets, which were also too long.
So I cut out a heavy piece of hot dipped tin plate and curved it to ft over a wood mandrel. I also punch a proper hole for a new rivet.
Next, I cut a small washer for the inside of the handle, then riveted the washer, handle, and curved plate together.
The final step was to solder the assembly back onto the lantern.
So the lantern is now good as new. Maybe not perfect, but fully functional.