Variations on a Parisian street sign.
The Carnavalet Museum in Paris has a fantastic exhibit of trade signs made up of original metal signs saved as many sites in Paris were being torn down to make way for new streets and buildings. One of my favorite signs was this all metal sign of a trumpeting angel. I have no information about the actual original use for the sign. To me she is a kick-ass messenger trumpeting some important message to passers-by. I feel like the branches she carries might be some sort of olive branch, symbolizing the possibility of peace and joy. I thought about this sign many times after we got home and eventually decided I wanted to make a folk art carved sign inspired by this street sign. I wanted to combine some different materials such as copper, steel and wood to create my own version of this great antique sign.
I started out with a basswood blank and cut out the blanks for the wings and body of the angel. I'm not much of a carver, so the carving is pretty basic. I was going for some sort of loose quilted look. You can see where I planned to attach the wings and cape later on.
After I carved and sanded the wood parts, and put the parts together, it was time to base coat the angel. I started with a sort of light mustardy color. I did not want this piece to end up all dark right off the bat, so I did not antique the paint layers very much. This photo was taken early on in the painting process. And yes, I know the head looks a little Cro-Magnon at this point. Shelley helped me get it looking a bit more human before the sign was finished.
And yes, that is an awesome post vise.
I created a sort of flowing cape from some salvaged copper next and fastened it to the body behind the wings. The original sign had another apron of sorts in the front but I decided that I did not like the way it looked. So I left if off.
It was at this point that I ran into a problem, the hair. In my mind I wanted to sign to have hair inspired by the way some girls wear their hair in big loose style like this (as a guy I guess I really don't know what the style is called, but this model is very pretty).
My technique was to curl sections of wire and glue a number of them into the head of the angel. Well........it did not exactly come out as I imagined. It looked more like a victim of a bizarre accident with an extension cord. We worked on it later on in the project and got the "hair" under control. It isn't what I envisioned, but at least it is not demonic anymore. The foliage on the original sign was flat and cut out of the metal sheet with the rest of the sign. I wanted to give the sign work shape and movement with a copper garland. It took a while to cut out all of the leaves, shape them on the mandrel and solder them to the twisted copper wire stems. I am happy with the way it came out in the end. In fact, after seeing how the foliage came out I decided that I wanted to leave out the hanging sign that the angel was holding in the antique sign. The trumpet is also copper as was pretty simple to work out.
The remainder of the project involved the wavy metal banner that supports the angel. Rather than try to figure out some way to hide the bars that attach the angel to the banner, I decided to make them a prominent part of the design. Since it was a nice day when I was working on this part I used my smaller outdoor forge. This required some creative fire management to get the large banner supported during the several heats needed to work up the banner and straps. The hanging bars are attached to the banner with hand hammered copper rivets.
So at the end of it all we ended with the angel sign shown below. I think it still needs a little work here and there to really finish off the project. The next project in this grain will be a scrolled metal wall bracket to support the sign outward from a wall.