Provisional Replacement Company U
5th Provisional Replacement Battalion
The Provisional Replacement Company U was established on 5 May 1944 as Company “U”, 5th Provisional Replacement Battalion. Authority for activation: Par. III, General Order No. 2, Hqs., 9th Replacement Depot, APO 545, dated 5 May 1944 authorized establishment. The company was established at Camp 18, Wells, Somerset, England.
Original cadre for the company were drawn from the 9th Repl. Depot, APO 545 and 2nd Repl. Depot, APO 117. The company strength developed as follows:
Strength at activation: 0
5 May 1944 2 Enlisted men added, per Par. 2, SO 109, Hqs, 2nd Repl. Depot.
6 May 1944 4 officers, per Par. 22, SO 24, Hqs., 9th Repl. Depot.
9 May 1944 29 enlisted men added, Par. 7, SO 27, Hqs, 9th Repl. Depot
The company was organized under T/O 20-7.
Provisional Replacement Company U was commanded by the following:
Julian Marcinkowski, Capain, 0-450607, Infantry; 6 May 1944 to 1 October 1944 report date. Brief civilian and military history. Birthdate and place: 20 June 1917, St. Louis, Missouri. Attended grade school, Private school, and was graduated High School in June, 1935. Enlisted in U.S. Army 10 August 1935, 6th Infantry, Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. Continuous service as an enlisted man until 30 September 1941. Discharged as Staff Sergeant. Commissioned 1 October 1941.
Richard K. Irvin, 1st Lt., Infantry, signed the 17 June 1944 report.
Carroll G. Kitss, 2nd Lt., Cav., signed monthly reports in August and September 1944.
Fred R. Bowers, 1st Lt., CMP, from 3 Oct 44 to 25 October 1944.
The company was attached to the following:
333rd Repl. Co. from 5 May to 12 May 1944, for rations and quarters only;
209th Repl. Co. from 12 May 1944 to 11 July 1944 for rations, quarters and indoctrination as to duties.
Unattached from 209th Repl. Co. 11 July 1944.
54th Replacement Battalion, 8 September 1944 to 11 October repot date.
The following organizations were attached to Company “U”:
160th Quartermaster Salvage Reclamation Shoe Depot from 11 July 44 to 7 August 44 for rations;
507th Medical Collecting Co, (Sep.) from 16 July 44 to 6 August 44 for rations and quarters.
Hq and Hq Det., 5th Provisional Replacement Battalion from 10 August 44 to 17 August 44 for rations.
The company made the following movements:
Left Camp 18, Wells, Somerset at 1430 hours, 12 May 1944 and arrived Camp 15, Street, Somerset at 1500 hours, motor convoy; four (4) Officers and thirty one (31) EM;
Left East Camp 15, Street, Somerset at 1345 hours, 7 August 44 and arrived Parkhouse “A”, Tidworth, Salisbury Place at 1700 hours; motor convoy, four (4) officers and thirty one (31) EM;
Left Parkhouse “A”, Tidworth, Salisbury Place at 1930 hours, 16 Aug 44 and arrived Tidworth Barracks, Hants, Salisbury Place at 1945 hours; motor convoy; four (4) officers and thirty one (31) EM.
Left Hants, Salisbury Place (Tidworth Barracks) 7 Sept 44 and arrived at Tidworth Bks, Wilts on that date; four (4) officers and thirty one (31) EM.
As of the 7 July 1944 report:
Replacement Company “U” was in charge of the East Camp of Camp 15 in Street, Somerset. All its casual and cadre enlisted men were quartered in hutments. All enlisted men ate in one mess hall, the officers having their own dining room. One kitchen cooks for both the enlisted men and officers.
The function of this Replacement Company is the reception, administration, supply, training and preparation for transfer of replacements, as directed by higher authority.
Since its arrival in Street, Somerset, Replacement Company “U” has processed about 200 casual officers and 2000 enlisted men. These men have been sent to other organizations for assignment. Some of the men leaving this camp went on detached service to special schools. After completing prescribed courses, they returned and were shipped to other organizations for assignment. This company has also processed package units formed at this camp.
Roster of Officers as of 7 July 1944.
Name Rank ASN Titular function
Marcinkowski, Julian Capt. 0450607 Company Commander
Irvin, Richard K 1st Lt 0354527 Police and Prison Officer
Hayes, Vern A 2nd Lt 01017445 Orientation Officer
Mueller, Benjamin C 2nd Lt 01017095 Supply and Mess Officer
Roster of Personnel as of 7 July 1944
Stelnicki, Mitchel 1/Sgt 35019069 Jakob, Albert J Pvt 35044562
Oakes, James H S/Sgt 14010719 Kaminski, John A Pvt 33696742
Pirell, Paul S/Sgt 32276285 Manbeck, William G Pvt 37676159
Donahue, Richard Sgt 17160935 Metzinger, Joseph E Pvt 35235415
Harrington, Robert H Sgt 11080170 Murphy, Albert J Pvt 31308135
Ciaravino, Joseph S T/4 32180922 Nimz, James A Pvt 36876060
Braccio, Charles T/5 32180244 Oliver, William F Pvt 33610677
Fagan, Bernard J T/5 32190306 McKethan, Geddie W Pvt 39410022
Hothem, Paul J Pfc 35421327 Pierce, George Pvt 34801179
Bernhardt, Richard H Pvt 35913818 Pooker, Chester W Pvt 37401081
Brant, John H Pvt 37553022 Ruiz, Ysidro C Pvt 39857857
Cogniet, Charles J Pvt 33418418 Schmitz, Robert R Pvt 37538280
Duncan, Raymond R Pvt 38478931 Shangraw, George A Pvt 42023115
Farbanec, Edward G Pvt 42010017 Williams, Cyril L Pvt 37664061
Frest, Louis J Pvt 36689194 Zajac, John Pvt 36730386
Howard, Leonard R Pvt 31389595
From the 11 October 44 report:
Provisional Replacement Company “U”, 54th Replacement Battalion, at present located at Tidworth, Wilts, England (map coordinates VU 6869 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile Map of Great Britain).
Facilities: While stationed at Parkhouse “A”, all troops were quartered in pyramidal tents. Scattered Nissan hut type buildings were utilized to house the mess hall and kitchen and the company orderly room.
Following movement to the Mooltan area and subsequently to the Lucknow area (a permanent British post), the company orderly room was set up in a wooden building adjoining the brick quarters used to house the cadre and replacement enlisted men. The enlisted men’s mess for cadre and replacements occupies one of the adjoining brick buildings adaptable for the purpose.
The function of Provisional Replacement Company “U” has been the reception, administration and transfer of replacements and casuals to units in the European Theater of Operations as directed by Depot and Battalion Headquarters.
Subsequent to this company’s attachment to the 54th Replacement Battalion, 12th Replacement Depot, and the company’s movement to the Lucknow area, the function of this company was changed to that of administration and assisting in the general training program of converting service troops to Infantry riflemen.
From 1 July 1944 to 30 September 1944 this company processed approximately 3000 officers and enlisted men, the majority of whom entered transient packages, but some of whom were transferred to school centers.
Appendix “A” from the 11 Oct. 44 report
Roster of Officers & Functions: Duties.
Officer Attached July August September
Marcinkowsck, Julian 8 May 44 per Commanding Commanding Commanding
Captain, Infantry par 22 SO 24 Voting Officer Voting Officer
0450607 9th Repl Depot
Dated 6 May 44
Irvin, Richard K 8 May 44 per Police & Police &
1st Lt, Infantry par 22 SO 24 Sanitation Sanitation
0354527 9th Repl Depot Officer Officer
Trfd 17 Aug
44 per par 2
SO 126 9th
16 Aug 44
Mueller, Benjamin C 8 May 44 per Mess Officer Supply Off Supply Off
2nd Lt, Cavalry par 22 SO 24 Supply Officer Alternate Alt Voting
01017095 9th Repl Depot Voting Officer
Dtd 6 May 44 Officer
Hayes, Vern A 8 May 44 per Orientation Administative Administrative
2nd Lt, Cavalry par 22 SO 24 Officer Officer Officer
01017045 dtd 6 May 44
Kitts, Carroll G 17 Aug 44 per Mess Officer Mess Officer
2nd Lt, Cavalry par 22 SO 126
01011441 9th Repl Depot
Dtd 16 Aug 44
This unit was disbanded per par 41, SO 218, 28 Oct 44, Hq 12th Repl Depot.