Rob Gorrell - Folk Artist

I am once again accepting orders to be made in my new shop.

Transcripts of monthly reports submitted to higher headquarters by the 54th Replacement Battalion, while stationed in England.

NOTE:  Strange things happened to the formatting of these reports when I copied them into this site. I am still trying to figure it all out. Sorry.

                                                                                                                                         S E C R E T 

HEADQUARTERS

54h Replacement Battalion

APO #545

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             22 March 1944

314.7

Subject:            History 

TO       :           Headquarters, FFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871 

  1. Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7, subject: “History”, dated 10 March 1944.

  2. History of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion.

    1. Original designation: 54th Replacement Battalion, consisting of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, and Companies A, B, and C.

    2. Date of activation:           25 May 1943.

    3. Authority for activation: General Orders No. 11, Headquarters Camp Sutton, North Carolina, Dated 13 April 1943.

    4. Source from which personnel were drawn: 

        1. Officer – five (5) Infantry Officers from IRTC, Camp Wheeler, Georgia, one (1) from Ft. Benning, Georgia, and one (1) fron IRTC, Camp Croft, South Carolina.

        2. Ten (10) 2nd Lieutenants, NMB, an initial assignment from OCS No. 2, AAS, Grinnell, Iowa.

        3. Twenty-five (25) enlisted personnel from QMRTC, Camp Lee, Virginia.

    5. Strength at activation: Seventeen (17) Officers and twenty five (25) enlisted men.

    6. Table of Organization under which organized.  T/O 20-45, 1 April 1942 as amended.

    7. Commanding Officers:  Lt. Col. JOHN R. TINDALL, Inf., (until 31 December 1943, Major, Inf.) 25 May to present.  Major GERALD C. SIMPSON, Inf. Assuming command 24 June 1943 to 28 June 1943 and Major ROY M. BUTLER, Inf., from 12 September 1943 to 19 September 1943 and from 25 November to 29 November 1943, during temporary absences of Major TINDALL.

    8. Attached 25 May to 18 December 1943 to 12th Replacement Depot, commanded by Colonel GEORGE A. MOORE, Cavalry.Attached to 9th Replacement Depot 19 January to present.  Commanded by Colonel FREEHOFF, Inf. 

    9. Units attached to the Battalion:

      209th Replacement Company                    1 November 1943 to present

      210th Replacement Company                     1 November 1943 to present

      211th Replacement Company                      1 November 1943 to present 

    10. Station at activation:  Camp Sutton, North Carolina. 

    11. Movements since activation:

25 August 1943; Camp Sutton, North Carolina to Camp Butner, North Carolina.  Movement by truck convoy.  Twenty (20) officers, 117 enlisted men, per  Letter Order 103, Headquarters Camp Sutton, North Carolina 1943.

8-19 December 1943; Camp Butner, North Carolina to Camp Kilmer, New Jersey by rail.  Nine (9) officers, twenty-six (26) enlisted men.  Each attached company, four (4) officers, thirty-one (31) enlisted men, per par 12, Special Orders 305, Camp Butner, North Carolina 1943.

7 January – 19 January 1944; Camp Kilmer, New Jersey to Glastonbury, Somerset, England. Rail and Ferry from Camp Kilmer to dock; ship to Liverpool, England; rail to Frome; motor convoy to Glastonbury. Nine (9) officers, twenty-six (26) enlisted men. Each attached company, four (4) officers, thirty-one (31) enlisted men. 211th Replacement Company going to Midsomer Norton.  Movement in accordance with letter, Headquarters Camp Kilmer, New jersey, file CKH 3705 (#4), dated 5 January 1944.

2 February 1944 – 209th Replacement Company to Street, Somerset. Four(4) officers and thirty-one (31) enlisted men. 18 February 1944 – 211th Replacement Company to Street, Somerset. Four (4) officers, thirty-one (31) enlisted men.

12. Change in designation: 1 November 1943, 54th Replacement Battalion reorganized and redesignated per General Orders No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina, dated 21 October 1943, as follows: 

OLD DESIGNATION                                         REDESIGNATED 

54TH Replacement Battalion Hq and Hq Det                   Hq and Hq Det. 54th Repl BN   

Company A                                                                          209th Replacement Company

Company B                                                                          210th Replacement Company

Company C                                                                          211th Replacement Company 

      Hq and Hq Det under T/O &E 20-46, and each company under T/O &E 20-47, both dated 31 August 1943. 

                                                                  Signature

                                                                  JOHN R. TINDALL

                                                                  Lt. Col., Inf.

                                                                  Commanding

 

SECRET

HEADQUARTERS

54th Replacement Battalion

                                                                                                                        APO 545

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          5 April 1944

HISTORY –ARRIVAL IN UNITED KINGDON TO 31 MARCH 1944 

  1. Unit or Installation, location

    The history contained herein is that of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, located in Glastonbury, Somerset, England (Map coordinates VT 9630, Ordnance Survey 10 Mile Map of Great Britain) and controls the Glastonbury area.           

  2. Organization and Establishment 

    1. Activation

       Activated 25 May 1943, as 54th Replacement Battalion, consisting of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment,  and Companies A, B, and C, pursuant to General Orders No. 11, Headquarters, Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 1943, Major John R. Tindall, 0188045, Infantry, Commanding.  

      Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1943 under authority contained in General Order No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina as follows: 

                  Old Organization                                  New Organization

                  54th Replacement Battalion

                  Headquarters and Hq Det                   Hq and Hq Det. 54th Repl Bn

                  Company A                                          209th Replacement Company

                  Company B                                          210th Replacement Company

                  Company C                                          211th Replacement Company 

    2. Location:

      Activated at Camp Sutton, North Carolina, on outskirts of Monroe, North Carolina. Reorganized and redesignated at Camp Butner North Carolina, about 15 miles north of Durham, North Carolina.

       Arrived United Kingdom 19 January 1944 from New York, New York. Traveled via rail to Frome, Somerset, and by motor convoy to Glastonbury, arriving 19 January 1944. 

    3. Roster of Officers.  See appendix “C” for roster of officers with changes in duties. 

    4. Biography of Commanding Officer. 

      John R. Tindall, 0188045, Infantry, who has commanded the Battalion from its activation on 25 May 1943, was born 26 September 1900. During World War I, he attended Infantry Officer Candidate School. His commission as a Reserve Officer was secured on 11 December 1923 and since that date he has received the following promotions: First Lieutenant, January 1929; Captain, November 1933; Major, February 1939; and Lieutenant Colonel, 21 December 1943. Colonel Tindall has had, in addition, five years duty with the Civilian Conservation Corps. 

      Colonel Tindall has, prior to assignment to this Battalion, completed tours of duty as a Camp Intelligence Officer, a Camp Inspector, and on Instruction in Infantry Tactics. Colonel Tindall has seen the strength of the Battalion grow from a small cadre to an organization competent to cope with the problems of a replacement battalion. He guided the Battalion during its training period and, now, during its working period. 

    5. Personnel. At the time of activation, the Battalion has a strength of 17 officer and 25 enlisted men. The first “fillers” were assigned on or about 22 June 1943. At the time of reorganization and redesignations, the Battalion had a total strength of 18 officers and 120 enlisted men, of whom 7 officers and 26 enlisted men were in the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment. 

      As of 31 March 1944, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, had a strength of 9 officers and 29 enlisted men, plus a Medical detachment of 2 officers and 9 enlisted men. There was an additional attached strength as shown below:           

                  209th Replacement Company                 4 officers         30 enlisted men

                  210th Replacement Company                  3 officers         31 enlisted men

                  211th Replacement Company                   4 officers         31 enlisted men

                  335th Replacement Company                 4 officers         31 enlisted men 

    6. Facilities. In the United Kingdom, troops of Hq and Hq Det, 54th Repl Bn have been quartered in scattered billets in the village of Glastonbury.  Officers have been quartered at 28 Northload Street, in the village, and at Edgerly Lodge, on the edge of the village. 

       Headquarters was established in the Squire building, a three-story building located on the Square.  Later expansion necessitated the taking over of another location on Northload Street for the Motor Pool, and a building on High Street, the main business street, for the Dispensary. 

      Facilities have been arranged for temporarily quartering troops and officer by the 102nd and 38th Cavalry Training Detachment, located in Glastonbury, which had arrived before the 54th Replacement Battalion. 

  3. Functions. The function of the Battalion and attached company is the reception, administration, supply, classification, training, assignment and transfer of replacements to tactical units in the theater of operations as directed by higher authority. 

  4. Operations: Since its arrival in the United Kingdom19 January 1944 to 31 March 1944, the Battalion had received a total of 137 casual officers and 1526 casual enlisted men, and has shipped 46 officers and 333 enlisted men. 

    No particular difficulties have been encountered other than those incident to shortage of materials, which has delayed the taking of prompt action in some cases. The Battalion and the attached companies are now performing the work for which they were activated. 

  5. Awards and Citations: No awards or citations have been granted while the battalion has been in the United Kingdom. A rather liberal policy was followed by the 12th Replacement Depot, to which the Battalion and companies were attached in the United States, 7 officers and 26 enlisted men having received citations; 7 enlisted men having received commendations; and 17 enlisted men having been awarded the Good Conduct Medal. 

  6. Additional Data: 

    1. The Glastonbury-Street Area consists of two camps in Street, East Camp and West Camp, and two camps in Glastonbury, Abbey Park Camp and Railroad Camp, plus scattered buildings within the village.  All facilities are located in the two villages. The Street Camps are hutment and tent type; the Glastonbury Camps, hutment and buildings provided by the British. 

    2. Although the Battalion is organized on a separate Battalion basis, it is attached to the 9th Replacement Depot. Four companies were attached to the Battalion, the 209th, the 210th, the 211th , and the 335th Replacement Companies, of which the latter has not yet handled replacements. 

    3. Training in the Glastonbury Area is conducted by a training detachment from the 102nd and 38th Cavalry, that in Street, by Company C, 745th Tank Battalion. 

      JOHN R. TINDALL,

      Lt. Col, Infantry

      Commanding

       

      11 April 1944.

           Lieutenant Colonel Tindall has been transferred from this command and it is not practicable to secure his signature. To the best of my knowledge and belief, this is a true and correct history of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion.

                                                     

                                                                                                                  SIGNATURE

                                                                                                                  RANALD B. ENGELBECK,

                                                                                                                  Lt. Colonel, Cavalry,

                                                                                                                  Commanding

       

       

SECRET

HEADQUARTERS

54th Replacement Battalion

APO #545 

                                                                                                                                                                                                        26 April 1944

Subject:   History 

To:       Headquarters, FFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871

  1. Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7, subject: “History”

    dated 10 March 1944.

  2. History of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion. 

    1. Commanding officer:

JOHN R. TINDALL, Lieutenant Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944.

RAYNALD B. ENGELBECK, Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present .

          2. Unit to which attached:

Replacement Depot #9, APO 545, 19 January 1944 to present.

3. Units which have been attached: 

                  209th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

                  210th Replacement Company 1 November 1943 to present

                  211th Replacement Company 1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

                  335th Replacement Company 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944 

          4. Station at activation:

              Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943. 

         5. Location: 

            Glastonbury, Somerset, England.  No change in location from that at time of previous report. 

                                                            SIGNATURE

                                                            RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                               Lt. Col., Cav.

                                                            Commanding

  

SECRET

 

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

APO #545

                                                                                                            23 May 1944

SUBJECT:    History

 

TO            :   Headquarters, FFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871

                    

  1. Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7,  subject:  “History” dated 10 March 1944.

  2. History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 54th Replacement Battalion.

    1. Commanding Officer:

      RANALD B. ENGELBECK,  Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present. 

    2. Unit to which attached:

      9th Replacement Depot, APO #545, 19 January 1944 to present. 

    3. Units which have been attached:

      1. 209th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

      2. 210th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to present

      3. 211th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

      4. 335th Replacement Company 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944 

    4. Station at activation:

      Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943 

    5. Glastonbury, Somerset, England.  No change in location from that at time of previous report.

       

      At the present time, this headquarters is training Battalion Headquarters, 5th Provisional Replacement Battalion in the performance of the duties required in the accomplishment of their mission.

                                                                     SIGNATURE

                                                                     RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                                     Lt. Col., Cav.

                                                                     Commanding

 

SECRET

 

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

APO #545

                                                                                                            20 June 1944

SUBJECT:    History

 

TO            :   Headquarters, FFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, US Army                    

  1. Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7,  subject:  “History” dated 10 March 1944.

  2. History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 54th Replacement Battalion. 

    g.       Commanding Officer:

    (1) JOHN R. TINDALL,  Lt. Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944.

    (2) RANALD B. ENGELBECK, Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present. 

    h.   Unit to which attached:

    9th Replacement Depot, APO #545, 19 January 1944 to present. 

    i.    Units which have been attached:

    (1) 209th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (2) 210th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to present

    (3) 211th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (4) 335th Replacement Company 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944 

    j.    Station at activation:

    Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943 

    k.    Location:

    Glastonbury, Somerset, England.  No change in location from that at time of previous report.

     

    Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 5th Provisional Replacement Battalion, which was attached for training at the time of the last report, has been transferred to the 71st Replacement Battalion.

                                                                SIGNATURE

                                                                RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                                Lt. Col., Cav.

                                                                Commanding

     

 

SECRET

HEADQUARTERS

54th Replacement Battalion

                                                                                                                        APO 545

                                                                                                                        7 July 1944

HISTORY –1 Aril 1944 to 30 June 1944

  1. Unit or Installation, location

    The history contained herein is that of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, located in Glastonbury, Somerset, England (Map coordinates VT 9.5-6.0, Ordnance Survey 10 Mile Map of Great Britain).           

  2. Organization and Establishment

    1. Activation

      Pursuant to the authority contained in General Order No. 11, Headquarters, Camp Sutton, North Carolina, dated 13 April 1943, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion and Companies A, B, and C were activated 25 May 1943, with Major John R. Tindall, 0188045, Infantry, Commanding.   

      Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1943 under authority contained in General Order No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina, dated 21 October 1943 as follows: 

                  Old Organization                                  New Organization

      54th Replacement Battalion

                  Headquarters and Hq Det                  Hq and Hq Det. 54th Repl Bn

                  Company A                                          209th Replacement Company

                  Company B                                          210th Replacement Company

                  Company C                                          211th Replacement Company 

    2. Location

      Activated at Camp Sutton, North Carolina, on the outskirts of Monroe,  North Carolina. Reorganized and redesignated at Camp Butner, North Carolina, about 15 miles from Durham, North Carolina. 

      Arrived in United Kingdom 19 January 1944, from New York, New York. Traveled via rail to Frome, Somerset and by motor convoy to Glastonbury, Somerset, arriving 19 January 1944. No change in location since arrival in Glastonbury. 

    3. Roster of Officers

      See Appendix “C” for roster of officers with changes in duties. 

    4. Biographies of Commanding Officers:

      1. John R. Tindall, 0188045, Infantry, who has commanded the Battalion from its activation on 25 May 1943, was born 26 September 1900. During World War I, he attended Infantry Officer Candidate School. His commission as a Reserve Officer was secured on 11 December 1923 and since that date he has received the following promotions: First Lieutenant, January 1929; Captain, November 1933; Major, February 1939; and Lieutenant Colonel, 21 December 1943. Colonel Tindall has had, in addition, five years duty with the Civilian Conservation Corps. 

        Colonel Tindall has, prior to assignment to this Battalion, completed tours of duty as a Camp Intelligence Officer, a Camp Inspector, and on Instruction in Infantry Tactics.        

      2. Ranald B. Engelbeck, 0221966, Cavalry, who assumed command of the 54th Replacement Battalion on 8 April 1944, was born on 6 August 1904. He was appointed a Second Lieutenant, Field Artillery Reserve, on 10 August 1925 and since that time has had the following promotions: First Lieutenant, Cavalry Reserve (based on Federal recognition), 28 July 1928; Captain, Cavalry (based on Federal recognition), 13 November 1928; appointed Captain, Cavalry, National Guard of the United States, 4 April 1934. Federally recognized as Major, Cavalry, Iowa National Guard, 1 November 1938; appointed Major, Cavalry, National Guard of the United States, 3 December 1938; promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 12 August 1942. Colonel Engelbeck entered on active duty pursuant to order or the President, dated 27 December 1940.  

        Prior to his assignment as Commanding Officer, 54th Replacement Battalion, Colonel Engelbeck has served as the Commanding Officer, 2nd Squadron, 113th Cavalry (H –Mecz); and Instructor, Department of Tactics, Cavalry School; Commanding Officer, 3rhd Reconnaissance Squadron Mechanized (later redesignated as the 38th Reconnaissance Squadron Mechanized). Colonel Engelbeck has also served brief tours of duty with Headquarters, 2nd Cavalry Group; and Headquarters, Ground Force Replacement System.           

    5. Personnel:

      As of 30 June 1944, Hq and Hq Det, 54th Replacement Battalion had a strength of 12 Officer (three (3) of whom are on detached service), and 34 enlisted men; a Medical Detachment of 2 Officers and 9 Enlisted Men; one (1) attached Chaplain and one (1) Chaplain’s Assistant; and nine (9) Enlisted Men on detached service from the 9th Replacement Depot.  There was an additional attached strength as shown below:

                              210th Replacement Company     4 Officers        31 Enlisted Men

                                                                               (1 on Detached Service)

    6. Facilities:

      The troops of Hq and Hq Det, 54th Repl Bn have been quartered in scattered billets in the town of Glastonbury.  Officers have been quartered at 28 Northload Street, in the town, and at Edgerly Lodge, on the periphery of the town. Headquarters was established in the Squire building, a three-story building located on the Square.  Expansion has made it necessary to use a location on Northload Street as the Motor Pool, and a building on High Street, the main business street, for the Dispensary. 

  3. Functions:

    The function of the Battalion and attached company is the reception, administration, and transfer of replacements and casuals to tactical units in the theater of operations as directed by higher authority.

  4. Operations:

    Since 3 March 1944, the Battalion has received a total of 208 casual and replacement officers and 2172 casuals and replacement enlisted men, and has shipped 13 officers and 1371 enlisted men. 

    No particular difficulties have been encountered other that those incident to operations in the theater of operations. The Battalion and attached company have been performing the work for which they were activated. 

  5. Awards, Citations:

    No awards or citations have been made since the last report. 

  6. Additional Data:

    1. The Glastonbury-Street Area for which the Battalion was responsible as of the last report has been disbanded.  The 71st Replacement Battalion assumed control of the Street Area and had attached to it on 6 April 1944, the 209th, 211th and 335th Replacement Companies. The Glastonbury Area consists of two camps, Abbey Park Camp and Railroad Camp, plus scattered buildings in the town.

    2. The Battalion, although organized on a separate battalion basis and capable of functioning as such, has been attached to and is functioning under the 9th Replacement Depot.

    3. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 5th Provisional Replacement Battalion was attached for training from 12 May 1944 to 31 May 1944.

    4. Training in the Glastonbury Area has been conducted by training detachments from the 38th and 102nd Cavalry; relieved 21 April 1944 by detachments from the 15th, 17th, 25th, 86th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, Mechanized, relieved on 16 June 1944 by Troop B (less 1 platoon), 2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized. 

      RANALD B ENGELBECK

      Lt. Colonel, Cavalry

      Commanding

 

SECRET 

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

APO #545

                                                                                                            22 July 1944

SUBJECT:    History 

TO            :   Headquarters, FFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, US Army           

  1. Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7,  subject:  “History” dated 10 March 1944.

  2. History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 54th Replacement Battalion.

     g.   Commanding Officer:

    (1) JOHN R. TINDALL,  Lt. Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944. 

    (2) RANALD B. ENGELBECK,  Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present. 

     h.   Unit to which attached:

    9th Replacement Depot, APO #545, 19 January 1944 to present. 

    i.    Units which have been attached:

    (1) 209th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (2) 210th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to present

    (3) 211th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (4) 335th Replacement Company 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944 

    j.    Station at activation:

    Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943 

    k.  Location: 

    Glastonbury, Somerset, England.  No change in location from that at time of previous report. 

    At the present time this headquarters is organizing a Cavalry Training Detachment for the purpose of giving further training and instruction to casual and replacement personnel attached unassigned to the battalion.

                                                                SIGNATURE

                                                                RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                                Lt. Col., Cav.

                                                                                                    Commanding

 

 

SECRET 

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

APO #545

                                                                                                                        22 July 1944

SUBJECT:    History

 

TO            :   Headquarters, FFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, US Army           

1.   Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7,  subject:  “History” dated 10   March 1944.

2.   History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 54th Replacement Battalion.

g.  Commanding Officer:

(1) JOHN R. TINDALL,  Lt. Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944. 

(2) RANALD B. ENGELBECK,  Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present. 

h.  Unit to which attached:

9th Replacement Depot, APO #545, 19 January 1944 to present. 

i.   Units which have been attached:

(1) 209th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

(2) 210th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to present

(3) 211th Replacement Company  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

(4) 335th Replacement Company 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944 

j.   Station at activation:

Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943 

k. Location:

Glastonbury, Somerset, England.  No change in location from that at time of previous report. 

At the present time this headquarters is organizing a Cavalry Training Detachment for the purpose of giving further training and instruction to casual and replacement personnel attached unassigned to the battalion.

                                                            SIGNATURE

                                                            RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                            Lt. Col., Cav.

                                                      Commanding

 

 

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

APO #545

                                                                                                            23 August 1944

SUBJECT:    History

TO            :   Headquarters, GFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, US Army

                     1.   Reference letter FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7,  subject:  “History” dated 10 March 1944.

2.    History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 54th Replacement Battalion.

g.  Commanding Officer:

(1) JOHN R. TINDALL,  Lt. Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944. 

(2) RANALD B. ENGELBECK,  Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present. 

h.   Unit to which attached:

9th Replacement Depot, APO #545, 19 January 1944 to present. 

i.   Units which have been attached:

(1) 209th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

(2) 210th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to present

(3) 211th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

(4) 325th Replacement Company,  18 August 1944 to present

(5) 333rd Replacement Company,  9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

(6)334th Replacement Company, 9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

(7) 335th Replacement Company, 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944

(8) Provisional Company “R”, 18 August to present. 

j.   Station at activation:

     Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943 

k.   Location:

Glastonbury, Somerset, England at time of last report. Changes since then as follows:

1)    Tidworth Barracks, Hants (Tidworth Park Camp), by motor convoy on 8 August 1944; 14 officers (including attached) and 41 enlisted men (including attached). 

2)   Tidworth Barracks, Wilts, by motor convoy on 17 August 1944; 13 officers (including attached) and 44 enlisted men (including attached).

 

At the present time this Battalion is operating and performing the mission for which it was established, that of a separate Replacement Battalion.  It has absorbed, temporarily, the mission and functions of the 9th Replacement Depot to which it was formerly attached.

 

                                                            SIGNATURE

                                                            RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                            Lt. Col., Cav.

                                                            Commanding

 

 

 

                                                                                                                 HEADQUARTERS

                                                 54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION                                                                                                                                  19 Sep 1944

SUBJECT:   History

To:                Headquarters, GFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, U.S. Army

  1. Reference letter, FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7, subject: “History”, dated 10 March 1944.

  2. History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion.

    1. Commanding Officer:

      1. JOHN R. TINDALL, Lieutenant Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944.

      2. RANALD B. ENGELBECK, Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to present.

    2. Unit to which attached:

      12th Replacement Depot, APO 551, 28 August 1944 to present.

    3. Units which have been attached:

      (1) 209th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

      (2) 210th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to present

      (3) 211th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

      (4) 325th Replacement Company,  18 August 1944 to present

      (5) 333rd Replacement Company,  9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

      (6) 334th Replacement Company, 9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

      (7) 335th Replacement Company, 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944

      (8) Provisional Company “R”, 18 August to present.

      (9) Provisional Company “U”, 8 September 1944 to present.

    4. Station at activation:

      Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943.

    5. Location:

      No change since last report.                                   

                              At the present time this Battalion is functioning as a Training Battalion, the purpose of which is to retrain enlisted men of the services as Infantrymen.

                                                                                                      SIGNATURE

                                                                                                      RANALD B. ENGELBECK

                                                                                                      Lt. Col., Cavalry

                                                                                                      Commanding

 

 

SECRET

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

                                                                                                                                                                                APO 551

                                                                                                                                                                                7 OCT 1944

HISTORY –1 July 1944 to 30 September 1944

  1. Unit or Installation Location

    The history contained herein is that of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, at present located at Tidworth, Wilts, England (Map coordinates VU 6869 Ordnance Survey Ten Mile Map of Great Britain). 

  2. Organization and Establishment

    1. The activation, location and activation, organization and reorganization of this Battalion was submitted with the last report and no changes other than the following change in location have bee noted since arrival in the United Kingdom:        

      1. This Battalion was located at Glastonbury, Somerset, England at the time of the last report and moved by motor convoy on 8 August 1944 to Tidworth Barracks, Hants (Tidworth Park Camp) and on 17 August 1944 to Tidworth Barracks, Wilts (Lucknow Area).

    2. Roster of Officers

      See Appendix

    3. Biographies of Commanding Officers:

      1. John R Tindall, 0 188 045, Lieutenant Colonel, Infantry, Commanding Officer from 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944. A biography has been submitted.

      2. Ranald B. Engelbeck, 0 221 966, Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, Commanding Officer from 8 April 1944 to 20 September 1944. A biography has been submitted.

      3. Henry A Keipe, 0 221 163, Major, Infantry, who assumed command of this Battalion of 20 September 1944 was born 30 July 1902.  He has served a period of three years in the Wisconsin National Guard (1922-1925) as Enlisted Man. Upon his graduation from Ripon College, Wisconsin, he was commissioned a 2nd Lt in the Officer’s Reserve Corps on 30 July 1925.  During 1928 Major Keipe served a tour of four weeks duty at the second Lieutenant’s School at Fort Sheridan, Ill.  During this same year, he was promoted to permanent grade of 1st Lt. In the Officer’s Reserve Corps. As a 1st Lt. Major Keipe was on duty with Headquarters Company, 6th Infantry during 1930. In 1935 Major Keipe was promoted to permanent grade of Captain in the Officer’s Reserve Corps and served another tour of duty as company commander of Company “A”, 2nd Infantry. From 1936 to 1939 inclusive, Major Keipe was a company commander at a CMTC camp. During the Wisconsin Maneuvers of 1940, he served as Executive Officer of the 2nd Battalion, 128th Infantry, Wisconsin National Guard. Major Keipe was called to active duty 10 January 1941 pursuant to order of the President and at the same time was promoted to permanent grade of Major in the Officer’s Reserve Corps.

        Following his call to active duty, Major Keipe served as a Battalion Commander at the Reception Center, Camp Grant, Illinois. Subsequent to this assignment, tours of duty have been served my Major Keipe as Executive Officer of the 611th Tank Destroyer Battalion and Commanding Officer of the 649th Tank Destroyer Battalion (Colored), as well as assistant to the Chief of Staff XVI Corps.

        Prior to his assignment as Commanding Officer of this Battalion, Major Keipe served as Camp Commander of Camp #17, 9th Replacement Depot, and Executive Officer of his present command. During his military career, Major Keipe has attended the following schools: the Infantry School, Fort Benning, Georgia, 1942; the Tank Destroyer Orientation School, Camp Hood, Texas, 1942; and the Command and General Staff School (G-2), Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 1943.               

    4. Personnel

      As of 30 September 1944, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion had a strength of 10 officers and 34 enlisted men; a Medical Detachment of 2 Officers and 10 enlisted men; and 5 officers and 115 enlisted men on detached service.  There was an additional attached strength as shown below:

                              210th Replacement Company           3 Officers              31 Enlisted Men

                              325th Replacement Company           4 Officers              30 Enlisted Men

                              Provisional Repl Company “U”       4 Officers              30 Enlisted Men 

    5. Facilities

      While stationed at Tidworth Park Camp, all troops were quartered in pyramidal tents.  Scattered buildings on the post were utilized to house Battalion Headquarters and all sections.  Following movement to the Lucknow Area (a permanent British Post), Battalion Headquarters was established in Officer’s quarters, Lucknow Area; an Officer’s Mess and billet was set up in Officer’s Quarters, Mooltan Area, and the troops of Headquarters Detachment were quartered in wooden billets adjoining Battalion Headquarters. Replacement troops attached unassigned to the Battalion occupy the remaining permanent quarters in Lucknow Area. 

  3. Functions

    The function of the Battalion and attached companies was the reception, administration, and transfer of replacements and casuals to tactical units in the theater of operations as directed by higher authority. About 31 August 1944, This Battalion’s mission and function was changed to that of general housekeeping, administration, and assisting in the general training program of converting service troops to Infantry Riflemen.               

  4. Operations

    From 30 June 1944 to August 1944, this Battalion handled approximately 1000 Officers and 6000 Enlisted Men in addition to 220 Officers and 5280 Enlisted Men who were members of what was termed “Transient Packages”.

            No particular difficulties other than those incidental to operations in a theater of operations have been encountered. 

  5. Awards, Citations

    No awards or citations have been made since the last report. 

  6. Additional Data

    1. From 20 August 1944 to 3 September 1944 this Battalion was performing all the duties normally performed by a Replacement Depot as 9th Replacement Depot to which it was formerly assigned was transferred to the Continent and this Battalion remained to carry out the Depot’s function until a new one (12th Replacement Depot) moved in.

       

      SIGNATURE

      HENRY A. KEIPE

      Major, Infantry

      Commanding

 

 

 

 

HEADQUARTERS

54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

APO 551

                                                                                                                        31 October 1944

SUBJECT:   History 

To:                Headquarters, GFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, U.S. Army 

1.   Reference letter, FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7, subject: “History”, dated 10 March 1944.

2.   History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion. 

g.  Commanding Officer:

      1. JOHN R. TINDALL, Lieutenant Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944.

      2. RANALD B. ENGELBECK, Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to 20 September 1944.

      3. HENRY A. KEIPE,  Major, Infantry, 20 September to present. 

  1. Unit to which attached:

    12th Replacement Depot, APO 551, 28 August 1944 to present.

     

  2. Units which have been attached:

    (1) 209th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (2) 210th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to present

    (3) 211th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (4) 325th Replacement Company,  18 August 1944 to present

    (5) 333rd Replacement Company,  9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

    (6) 334th Replacement Company, 9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

    (7) 335th Replacement Company, 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944

    (8) Provisional Company “R”, 18 August 1944 to 8 September 1944.

    (9) Provisional Company “U”, 8 September 1944 to 30 October 1944.

    (10) 526th Replacement Company, 27 October 1944 to present. 

  3. Station at activation:

    Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943. 

  4. Location:

    No change since last report.

     

    At the present time this Battalion is functioning as a Training Battalion, the purpose of which is to retrain enlisted men of the services as Infantrymen.

     

                                                    SIGNATURE

                                                    HENRY A. KEIPE,

                                                    Major, Infantry

                                                    Commanding

     

     

     

    SECRET

    HEADQUARTERS

    54TH REPLACEMENT BATTALION

    APO 551

                                                                                                                21 November 1944

    SUBJECT:   History 

    To:                Headquarters, GFRS, ETOUSA, APO 871, U.S. Army 

    1.   Reference letter, FFRS, ETOUSA, AG 314.7, subject: “History”, dated 10 March 1944.

    2.   History of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion. 

    g.  Commanding Officer:

      1. JOHN R. TINDALL, Lieutenant Colonel, Infantry, 25 May 1943 to 7 April 1944.

      2. RANALD B. ENGELBECK, Lieutenant Colonel, Cavalry, 7 April 1944 to 20 September 1944.

      3. HENRY A. KEIPE,  Major, Infantry, 20 September to present. 

  1. Unit to which attached:

    12th Replacement Depot, APO 551, 28 August 1944 to present. 

  2. Units which have been attached:

    (1) 209th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (2) 210th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to present

    (3) 211th Replacement Company,  1 November 1943 to 6 April 1944

    (4) 325th Replacement Company,  18 August 1944 to present

    (5) 333rd Replacement Company,  9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

    (6) 334th Replacement Company, 9 August 1944 to 18 August 1944

    (7) 335th Replacement Company, 28 March 1944 to 6 April 1944

    (8) Provisional Company “R”, 18 August 1944 to 8 September 1944.

    (9) Provisional Company “U”, 8 September 1944 to 30 October 1944.

    (10) 526th Replacement Company, 27 October 1944 to present. 

  3. Station at activation:

    Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 25 May 1943. 

  4. Location:

    No change since last report.

     

    At the present time this Battalion is functioning as a Training Battalion, the purpose of which is to retrain enlisted men of the services as Infantrymen.

     

                                                    SIGNATURE

                                                    HENRY A. KEIPE,

                                                    Major, Infantry

                                                    Commanding