210th Replacement Company
The 210th Replacement Company was organized as Company “B” of the 54th Replacement Battalion in May 1943 at Camp Sutton North Carolina. Company “B” was redesignated the 210th Replacement Company on November 1, 1943, in compliance with General Order No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina, 1943.
The 210th Replacement Company was commanded by the following:
Erdman, George B., First Lt. Infantry, 01316395, Transferred to the 210th on 1 July 1943. Assumed command of the Company on 4 September 1943. Following a period of hospitalization, Lt. Erdman was transferred to the Detachment of Patients, 298th General Hospital, on or about 18 March 1944. He was then reassigned and joined from the 10th Replacement Depot to this company on 15 April 1944. Appointed Company Commander of Abby Park Camp.
Graham, Frank K. 2nd Lt, Cav, 01023082. 13 Mar 44 assigned to 210th from Casual, Plat Co. Listed on 210th Replacement Company report as Platoon Commander and Mess Officer, Abbey Park. Release as Supply Officer on 25 April 1944. As of 1 May 44 he is listed as Commanding Officer of Abby Camp. In June (day not listed) Graham was released from Commanding Officer at Abby Camp. On 23 June 44 he is listed as Supply Officer, Platoon Commander and Mess Officer of Abby Camp. In July 1944 he is listed as Supply Officer and Platoon Commander.
Hart, Ira W., 1st Lt, Army of the United States, 01895711, was transferred to, and assumed command of the 210th Replacement Company on 2 February 1944, from the 211th Replacement Company (formerly Company C, 54th Replacement Battalion), with which he had served since being graduated from Officer Candidate School No. 2, Army Administrations Schools, Grinnell, Iowa, on 12 May 1943. No record found on how long he was in command.
The following officers were listed in records from 1943:
Bowdler, Paul P., 2nd Lt., AUS, joined 9 June 1943.
Boyer, Walter B. 2nd Lt, Ord. 01557618. Joined Battalion of 4 December 1944 from OORP, Ord School, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md. It appears that Boyer joined the 210th from the 211th on 28 March 1944, and transferred to headquarters on 24 April 1944.
Chew, Virgil G., 2nd Lt., AUS, joined 9 June 1943.
Cawthon, John A. 2nd Lt, AUS 01845960. Trained at OCS#1, AAS, Fargo ND. Assigned unattached to Co B on 9 June 1943. Assigned on 19 June 1943. 15 July 1943, O rescind SD only. 29 July 1943, released from SD. No further information.
Fine, Louis L. 2nd Lt, AUS 01895774. OCS#2, AAS, Grinnell Iowa. On 24 April 44 released from assignment to Headquarters and assigned to the 210th Replacement Company, primary duty, Platoon Leader and Mess Officer of Railroad Camp, also Supply Officer. Listed as Commanding Officer on 23 June 1944. 29 July 44 appointed Post Exchange Officer, Special Services Officer, Cl A aft Officer. 31 July 44 transferred to BN Hq
Hart, Ira W. Capt. AUS 01895711. OCS#2, AAS, Grinnell Iowa. Promoted to 1st Lt on 10 December 1943. On 29 Jan 44 Hart transferred to CO 210th Replacement Company.
Jeunelot, Charles E. 2nd Lt, AUS 01895630. OCS#2, AAS, Grinnell Iowa. Listed as B Co Commander in May 1943. Listed as BN Supply Officer in June and September 1943. Promoted to 1st Lt on 14 December 1943.
Larsen, Harold W. 2nd Lt. AUS, 10895782. OCS#2, AAS, Grinnell Iowa. Listed as B Company Platoon Commander in May 1943. Additional duty, BN Mess Officer on 6 June 1943. Transferred to BN Mess Officer on 10 July 1943. Transferred to Co A on 18 August 1943.
McLain, William O. 2nd Lt. AUS, 01895715. OCS#2, AAS, Grinnell Iowa. Listed as Platoon A Commander in May 1943. Transferred to B Company on 21 July, 1943. Listed as B Company Platoon Commander in September 1943. 19-29 Feb 44 additional duty as Exchange Officer. 19 Jan 44, Platoon Commander, Supply Officer, Special Services Officer, 2 Feb Released Supply Officer, Commanding Officer of Abby Park. 7 Feb 44 released from Commanding Officer Abby Park. 21 Feb 44, Platoon Commander, Mess Officer Abby Park. 28 March 44 Transferred to 211 Replacement Company. Transferred to 211th Replacement Company 28 March 44.
Noffsinger, William G, 2nd Lt, US 01845289. USA Rectg Sta. Tampa FL. Originally assigned to B Company, date unknown. Joined and was assigned to Co C on 20 July 1943.
Raichart, Richard B. 2nd Lt, AUS 01995326. USA Rctg Sta, Savannah Ga. Transferred to 210th Replacement Company 12 November 1943. Transferred to 209th Replacement Co on 11 December 1943.
Remsing, Joseph R. 2nd Lt, AUS 01845614. USA Rctg Sta, Raleigh NC. Joined Headquarters on 20 July 1943. SC Company B on 23 July 1943. Assigned to Co B 31 August 1943. Listed as B Company Platoon Commander in September 1943. Transferred to BN Assistant Adjutant on 15 October 1943.
Robinson, Alton U. 2nd Lt, Infantry 01313131, IRTC, Camp Wheeler, Ga. Listed as B Co Commander in May and September 1943.
Williams, Tracy. 2nd Lt, AUS 0506976. On 12 November 1943 transferred to 210th Replacement Company. Promoted to 1st Lt on 6 December 1943. 19 Jan 44, Plt Comdr Mess F. 22 Jan 44, assumed Comd. Transferred to 211th Repl Co 29 Jan 44
Williamson, Delbert E. 2nd Lt. AUS, 01895546. Transferred to Co B on 24 September 1943. Jan 44 210th Repl Co Platoon Commander. 18 Feb 44 transferred to BN Hq.
Wilson, LeRoy Jr. 2nd Lt. UAS 01895762. OCS#2, AAS, Grinnell Iowa. Listed as B Plat Commander in May and September 1943. Transferred to Hq, BN Asst P&T on 12 November 1943.
The 210th Replacement Company made the following movements.
On 25 August 1943 the 210th moved from Camp Sutton to Camp Butner North Carolina, about 15 miles north of Durham. At which location the change from Company “B” to the 210th took place on 1 November 1943.
On 18-19 December the 210th moved from Camp Butner to Camp Kilmer with the 54th Replacement Battalion.
The 210th Replacement Company departed New York on 8 January 1944 via liner Mauretania and debarked at Liverpool, England, on 19 January 1944 and then traveled by rail to Frome, Somerset, and then to Glastonbury by motor convoy, arriving 19 January 1944.
On 8 August 1944 the 210th Replacement Company moved by motor convoy to Tidworth Barracks, Wilts.
The April 1944 report contained the following:
Personnel. At the time or arrival in the United Kingdom, the Company had a strength of 4 officers and 31 enlisted men. On 31 March 1944, the strength was 3 officers and 31 enlisted men. See appendix “D”.
Facilities. The 210th Replacement Company operates two camps for casual enlisted personnel, Railroad and Abby Park, plus one separate quarters known as the Chicken Coop, and has casual officers in two quarters, 28 Northlode and the Poplars. Abby Park is composed of hutments; Railroad Camp is part hutments and part building furnished by the British. Messes are operated in both camps, that at Abby Park being a large, double hutment, and that at Railroad Camp being a large building belonging to the British.
The function of a replacement company is the reception, administration, supply, training, and preparation for transfer of replacements, as directed by higher authority.
Since it’s arrival in the United Kingdom from the United States, the 210th Replacement Company has received a total of 102 casual officers and 626 casual enlisted men and transferred 73 officers and 187 enlisted men, leaving a casual strength of 29 officers and 439 enlisted men as of 31 March 1944. In addition, a number of officers and enlisted men were processed for detached service. See appendixes “E” and “F”.
The 210th Replacement Company is attached to Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, which is in turn attached to the 9th Replacement Depot. The Company is assisted in training by the 102nd and 38th Cavalry Replacement Training Detachment.
The 8 July 1944 contains the following:
During the past three months the 210th Replacement Company has received a total of 161 casual officers and 1990 casual enlisted men, and transferred 141 casual officers and 1613 enlisted men, leaving a strength of 72 officers and 826 enlisted men as of 30 June, 1944. In addition, a number of officers and enlisted men were processed for Detached Service.
The 210th Replacement Company is attached to Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, which is in turn attached to the 9th Replacement Depot. The Company is assisted in training by Troop B, 2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron.
The 8 October 1944 report added the following:
The 210th Replacement Company is located at Tidworth Barracks, Tidworth, Wilts, England, map coordinates VU 6869, Ordnance Survey Ten-Mile map of Great Britian.
The 210th Replacement Company and attached unassigned personnel are occupying married enlisted men’s quarters. The mess hall is ½ of a garage and is operated in conjunction with Company C, 118th Infantry Regiment.
The function of a Replacement Company is the reception, administration, supply, training, and preparation for transfer of replacements, as directed by higher authority.
During the past three months the 210th Replacement Company has received a total of 356 officers and 2083 enlisted men, and transferred 417 officers and 2319 enlisted men, leaving a replacement strength of 17 officers and 555 enlisted men, as of 30 September 1944. In addition, a number of officers and enlisted men were processed for Detached Service. At present this Company is processing two detachments of casuals of various branches of Services for conversion to Infantry.
The 210th Replacement Company is attached to Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, which is in turn attached to the 12 Replacement Depot. The Company is assisted in training by Company C, 118th Infantry Regiment.
The unit was inactivated 4 November 1945.
Unit Roster for the 210th Replacement Company as of 8 January 1944, on departure from the US with the 54th Replacement Battalion.
Revels, Jake C., Actg 1 Sgt
Gulas, Gus P., S Sgt, original cadre
Hobby, Leo G., S Sgt, original cadre
Pitts, Clyde W., Sgt, original cadre
Winger, William W., Sgt
Ali, Musa A.N., T4, original cadre
Castelletti, Gene, T4
Caruso, Vito M., Cpl
Farkas, Edward E., Cpl
Fitzpatrick, Joseph, Cpl
Jay, Eugene L., Cpl
Weiss, Samuel, Cpl
Davern, Joseph B., T5
Enos, Joseph W., T5
Norris, Merrill R., T5
Suders, Joseph E., T5
Tavares, Joseph, T5
Doane, Ralph, Jr., Pfc
Gresham, Eugene C., Pfc
Manson, John T., Pfc
McDaniel, Robert H., Pfc
Perullo, Edward L., Pfc
Prato, Anthony, Pfc
Wright, Leo C., Pfc
Bodine, Robert C., Pvt
Edwards, Donald S., Pvt
Ethier, Joseph A., Pvt
Kefalas, Thomas, Pvt
Kowitz, Jack N., Pvt, original cadre
Sokoloff, Samuel, Pvt
The company was inactivated effective 4 November 1945, per Letter, Hq, US forces, ETO, AG322-AGO 22 September 1945, Subject: Redesignation and Inactivation of Certain Reinforcement Units.
Source: National Archives, 54th Repl BN history folder.