For this design I stacked 5 cigar boxes with spacers in between the boxes. I removed the front and made small drawers to go in four of the boxes. The top box will be open with a small shelf. Here I still have the lid on the top box but later decided to remove the lid and have the top box open.
After assembling the boxes I started edge carving and adding the thin layers of walnut. The walnut is salvaged from a pile of lumber that was too thin and knotty for a picture frame maker to use. So far, all the parts of this project are salvaged or re-used in some way (accept for the nails and glue).
Check back after Christmas. I hope to have more of the cupboard finished and posted by the end of the month.