I tried to make another Piggen.
Posted on March 1, 2012
Now that I have finished up the washtub and a couple buckets, I wanted to see what else I could make from the pile of odds and ends in the cedar pile. What is left is pretty scrappy and I ended up throwing about half of it in the woodpile for firewood. The rest made the piggen described here and will hopefully be enough for a small straight sided cask and a small tub.
The piggen I ended up with is about 8″ in diameter and 6 1/2″ tall without the handle. The sides raised up pretty good this time. But I ran into problems with the crozing. I think I am cutting the groove too wide. Most of the bottoms I have made so far seem to be a little loose in the groove. You can see it in this image:
Before I start the next project I will change the design of my croze to cut a narrower groove and also try not to get the edges of the bottom tapered to thin. This piggen looks ok from the outside but is definitely only a dry measure. It might hold syrup on a really cold day.
I also ran into a problem cutting the tops of the staves flat so the top is a bit wonky. This project was a struggle. The thing fought me all the way and the end result shows the conflict I think. But I’m still a beginner so I look at it as progress. After we take this piggen to a few events and it gets broken in maybe it will not look so forlorn. Good thing I am not trying to sell this one.
I am looking forward to spring when I can start using cattail flagging to better seal the bottoms of my coopered buckets, piggens and tubs.
Also, I just received permission from the publisher to start using a few images from Kenneth Kilby’s book The Cooper and His Trade. I am excited to be able to add information and images from this great source to my blog. More about that soon.